Friday, October 1, 2010

solitude and suffering

Jake and I just got back from a 12 mile mountain run....2 hours flat.  Running in the mountains on trails at altittude is a whole different sport than road running.  I hit a wall at about mile 10 and the last 2 miles were pure misery for me, it was all that I could do to stay moving.  If I didn't have Jake there pushing me I don't think I would have kept going.  This was probably the most I have suffered to date.  The whole time we were up there we only passed 1 other person running, although there were 2 or 3 people on mountain bikes and one dude on a horse.  That is why I called this post solitude and suffering.  I love the solitude and in a perverse way I sort of enjoy the suffering too.  This is not the sport to be in if you want fame and glory.  The only rewards manifest themselves deep within your own soul.  Anyway, today made me feel really good about the Moab 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles) because the conditions down there (road) will be much easier than what we did today.  I feel like I have a legitamate shot at posting a sub-2 hour time.

1 comment:

  1. Good job bro..It was an awesome run. I love running on that trail. It's definitely one of the most peaceful areas to run yet grueling at the same time. If it wasn't for the beauty of it all, I would probably have no motivation to push through the pain. It was great though..you've come miles(literally) in only a few months.. pretty soon we'll be throwin' down 20-25 mile runs with ease

    ReplyDelete