Saturday, July 16, 2011

This morning was one of those rare ones....one that you read about other people having, but once in a while you slip into the groove of life.  Yeah, that's what happened.  My brother Justin is in town and we were planning on going trail running this morning.  I should preempt this by stating that I am currently reading the book 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall, nough said.  So last night I was Soooo looking forward to hitting the trail bright and early that I could even sleep; thats not hyperbole, I didn't sleep one single wink.  By 4:00 am I couldn't take it any longer, so I grabbed my headlight, some cytomax, my gps watch, and the scrabby clothes on my back and headed toward the mountains.  I went up to the Orson Smith trailhead and headed up with my headlight and one brilliant full moon to guide me.  I never felt so light running uphill, and I was all smiles.  I reached the station where the shoreline trail intersects and just had to stand there and take in the lights of the Salt Lake valley, and right across Corner Canyon was the Draper Temple, lit up in all its celestial glory.  I can't remember when I last felt that happy and content.  Then I turned around and ran back to my car because I had to pick Justin up at 5:30.  In the parking lot I met a group getting ready to head up Lone Peak, I almost said "Can I tag along?", but I had to go get my bro.  I went and picked him up just as it was getting a bit light and we went right back to the same spot and I did it all again, but this time my little brother was with me.  What a morning!!!  Even without sleep I felt as strong and light as I ever have in my life.  I learned a great lesson  from all this, a secret if you will.....There is nothing as potent as pure love and enthusiasm.

1 comment:

  1. I know this is an old post, but I wanted to say how neat it is that you are able to experience life in such a positive way. Keep up the good running and good recovery!

    ReplyDelete